Sunday, June 17, 2012

My review of Oliver Pötzsch's The Hangman's Daughter


I am a BzzAgent who had the opportunity to read Oliver Pötzsch's The Hangman's Daughter as part of a campaign. I am not usually a fan of historical thrillers, but was willing to give it a read. Here is my review of the story.

 The Hangman's Daughter is the tale of Jakob Kuisl, a hangman with a heart in a small Bavarian town in the 1600's. He needs to get drunk before executions. His daughter, Magdalena, also has a role in the book, though she is not as prominent as I expected from the title. I wish she had a bigger role in the story. I enjoyed her spunk. I also liked Simon, the young physician.

 The majority of the book deals with the murders of orphan children in the town which results in the arrest of a midwife for witchcraft. Jakob, Simon, and Magdalena try to solve the mystery before time runs out for the midwife. Meanwhile, the majority of the village's aldermen are uninterested in the truth and are only interested in protecting their money.

I enjoyed the plot twists.  I had to keep turning the pages to find out if the midwife was actually a murdering witch. I was actually surprised who was behind the murders!

 I really enjoyed reading Oliver Pötzsch's The Hangman's Daughter. I hope you will pick it up as a summer book. Right now it is available to borrow for free from Amazon if you are a Prime Member or download it to your Kindle right now for only $3.99. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P9XMFI/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=darkmonk_bzzagent-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B003P9XMFI   I am about to start reading The Dark Monk which is the follow up to The Hangman's Daughter. It was just released on June 12, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment