Wednesday, June 20, 2012

One thing I am wondering about today...

Do the rising temperatures equal short tempers?

Today I was driving from my house into town.  I didn't think twice when I pulled over to allow safe passage of the ambulance being followed by a police car. I pulled back on the road and continued driving like normal.

I was wondering why the traffic in front of me was slowing down.  There were 14 police cars from our local area and other agencies lining both sides of the road.  My son glanced over and saw crime scene tape.  It was the same scene on our return trip.

Once I was home I looked at our local newspaper.  At first they were reporting a domestic violence situation since the County sent a representative from the District Attorney's Domestic Violence Bureau. As more facts came in it was revealed that all of those police cars where there to investigate a death of an infant girl. No further information was released. The police are not stating if they suspect foul play.

I did some quick research on the topic of domestic violence and heat. Police department reports an anecdotal spike in cases of violence during the sweltering heat, the department's investigators said the more predictable ebb and flow of domestic abuse is associated with the seasons.  The most severe season for domestic abuse is the spring, especially for relationships where children are involved.

"You talk to victims and they will tell you they lay low during the holidays.  They don't want to ruin the holidays for the children, so they will avoid conflict during that time."  The investigator added, "Spring is when victims will make life-changing decisions.  They will look at having divorces and in order to get out of a bad situation and get the kids moved to a new location by August [when school starts], they start in the springtime."

The investigator said the main thing for victims to remember is that abuse is not acceptable in any weather conditions. If you are in a domestic violence situation please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233) or TTY 1−800−787−3224.

Remember love does not have to hurt.  To the world you are just one person, but to one person you are the world.




No comments:

Post a Comment